Fairﬁeld Ave 34 35 36 P E 9th St P P 23 E 8th St W 7th St Church St E 6th St W 14 5th St 15 16 8 r ive rR 252 High St Cleaver St E 3rd St P n H 7 ill Wh Saint Michaels Blvd ke n 6 Bra c rs L ate E 4th St 10 be 9 E 5th St 17 We itew 13 12 11 Long St 19 18 Short St Indiana Bank St E 7th St Mill St P ry Rd E 8th St 20 River St W 8th St 37 38 22 21 Saint Ma Stone walls and curbing of Brookville, Franklin Ave. and Main St.: Remains of the mortarless, dry-set masonry walls built by the early settlers can be seen throughout Brookville. Of special interest are walls that have not been altered with installation of cement mortar on the west side of Franklin Avenue between 4th and 5th streets and 7th and 8th streets (to the east of Methodist Church & Parsonage). Special features include an outstanding stone wall at the rear of Tebbe’s Liquor along 7th Street just west of Main Street, in addition to a few remaining curved sections of the Laurel stone curbing installed by the town in 1906. The latter are visible along several alleys. This curbing is most prominent on Main Street and Franklin Avenue north of 9th Street. Division St Market St 29 28 P 27 26 W 9th St 24 25 John St Franklin Ave Progress St E 10th St 33 Court St P 3 P 4 on Rd Harris 2 Pearl St./Murphy St. 5 1st St High St Brookville E 11th St W 11th St W 11th St 32 W Klein St 30 31 Main St Tour of Historic Brookville Historic Sites Water St 38. Hermitage, 650 E. 8th St.: Originally built in 1835 by James Speer, the house was purchased in 1898 by two of the best remembered artists of the Hoosier School art movement, J. Ottis Adams and T.C. Steele. Libby Steele, wife of T.C. Steele, named the house Hermitage. The artists enlarged the original structure for use as both a summer residence and a studio, where they also taught the arts to male and female students. The accomplishments of the two artists made it famous in the art community. The house is currently operated as a bed-and-breakfast and is open for tours by appointment. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. Brookville, located at the confluence of the east and west forks of the Whitewater River, was founded by pioneers, Amos Butler and Jesse Thomas, in 1808, prior to the establishment of Franklin County. It became Franklin County’s seat in 1811, and boomed when the federal land office was located here in 1820 and when the Whitewater Canal was constructed in 1836. The Brookville Historic District, which was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, encompasses most of the buildings in town. The district’s concentration of well-preserved buildings reflects the town’s continuous development over time. Cliﬀ St 37. Barrickman Cabin, Brookville Town Park near E 9th and Market streets: Most of the history of this cabin has been lost. A 1970 article by local historian Virgil Davis suggests that this structure was the Barrickman Cabin that once stood on Templeton’s Creek. It was moved here to commemorate Amos Butler’s 1805 settlement of Brookville that occurred near this site. Historic Brookville Phalen Dr Progressive St. 36. Grandstand, located at the ballpark on Fairfield Avenue: Finished in 2008, the current grandstand is a reconstructed and slightly smaller version of the circa 1922 structure, which was destroyed by arsonists in 2004. It had been built for the Southern Indiana Baseball Association, which included 10 towns and cities. The league dissolved shortly thereafter, but the grandstand remained an integral part of Town Park, hosting local softball teams and leagues and serving as a place for community events. NOTE: More information on these sites and Franklin County history is available at the Franklin County Public Library. 1 52 Sonja Dr Sonja Ave Whi 0 320 640 iver ter R a tew d Ln e Blu R eek Cr Public Property/Commercial Private Property P Front Cover: Historic prints of the Franklin County Courthouse, the Fries House and the Map adapted from: Atlas of Franklin County Indiana. Chicago, IL: J.H. Beers & Co., 1882. Historic photograph of St. Michael Church adapted from: Gorman, Rev. Robert. A Souvenir of the Centennial of the Parish of St. Michael, Brookville, Indiana. Indianapolis, IN: The St. Michael Parish, 1945. 1 P 0 62.5 125 1,280 Feet Meters 250 Open by Appointment only Dry-Set Stone Walls Parking (Street parking available near most locations) Acknowledgements: Local History and Genealogy Department - Franklin County Public Library; Donald Dunaway, Franklin County Historian; Franklin County Recreation, Convention and Visitors Commission; Indiana Department of Transportation - Cultural Resources Office; John Newman and other individuals. Begin Tour of Historic Brookville 1. Fries Memorial, near 11143 U.S. 52: This marker is dedicated to the victims of the 1913 flood – one of the most tragic in Indiana’s history. Twelve Franklin County residents, including eight members of the Fries family, were reported to have lost their lives in the flood, at this spot. The Fries homestead once stood near this location. 2. Brookville Power Plant, near 108 Main St.: The Greek Revival style structure was constructed in 1891 at a cost of nearly $2,000. On Nov. 26, 1891, the streets of Brookville were illuminated for the first time with power provided by this facility. 3. Drive-Thru Visitor Center, 110 Main St.: This little gas station building, erected by the Franklin County Farm Bureau in 1930, was likely the only one of its kind in the state to be owned and controlled by local farmers. The motto of the station was “Service and Satisfaction.” 4. Wilson Feed Store, 146 Harrison St.: The local candy and canning factory, Brookville Manufacturing Company, originally stood on and near this site. It burned in 1902, just 1½ years after it was built. Later, this site housed the John Weber Milling, Ice & Fuel Company, which was partially destroyed by a fire in 1937. The ice plant was rebuilt in the 1950s and turned into a feed market. In 1998, Mike and Jeannie Wilson bought the property to operate as a feed market, a function that it still retains under new ownership. 5. Bergin Stone House, 168 1st St.: According to Paul Bergin, who owned and lived in the house until he died, the house was built around1829 by William Wheat. It is located near “The Basin,” where the canal boats were loaded and unloaded. 6. St. Michael Church Complex, St. Michael Blvd. and High St.: This complex consists of the Gothic Revival Catholic church, which was originally designed by Edwin May and dedicated March 25, 1862. May’s design was significantly altered in 1902 when the structures roof was raised during remodeling. The present Italianate style rectory was built in 1878 on the site of the home of former U.S. Sen. James Noble and former Indiana Gov. Noah Noble. The St. Francis Sisters’ Center, built in 1867, the school built in 1912 and expanded and rededicated in 1956, and the parish activity center, completed in 2003, are also part of the complex. There are several historical markers with more information at this site. The original Catholic burying ground that was once on the east and south sides of the church was moved to a new location at John Street and State Road 101. This cemetery is currently active. 7. Bracken Hill, 1 Bracken Hill: Around 1805, John Allen, the second settler of Brookville, built his home on this site. After a series of owners, the property was sold to David Price, who likely constructed a Greek Revival style brick house here circa 1837. In 1882, William Bracken bought the property and remodeled the house. It was sold subsequently to the Browns , who moved into the house in 1939 after extensively remodeling. After a fire in 1992 gutted much of the interior, the house was completely restored again. 8.Fries House, 273 Main St.: This Italianate style structure was the home of the first Franklin County National Bank president, Joseph Fries. Its unique features were painted portraits of the Fries children on the corner walls of the parlor and the floor-toceiling mirror. This room was also used as a dining area during the heyday of the Fries mill, when as many as 25 mill workers were fed their noon meal. A heated flower house once stood on the south lawn, where specialty ferns were grown by Anita Fries Goyert. The house was heavily remodeled and expanded when it was transformed into the Elsie Dryer Nursing Home in the mid-1950s. The name Fries still remains on the front step leading down to U.S. 52. 9. Ye Olde Shack, 300 Main St.: This building was originally a log cabin barroom known as the Canal House. It then became a rooming and boarding house. This establishment once boasted the largest outhouse in town – a nine-holer, on the north side of the building. The present building was constructed around the cabin with a livery stable to the west. 10. Franklin County Jail, 371 Main St.: Built in 1883, is the Second Empire style structure housed the sheriff’s living quarters in the front, and the jail in the rear. The Security Center is a modern addition constructed between 1991-1993. 11. Franklin County Courthouse, 459 Main St.: The county’s first courthouse was a log structure. It was replaced in 1817 by a brick building, which was destroyed in a fire in 1852. A new Norman style courthouse was designed by Edwin May, who also designed the Indiana State Capitol, and completed in 1855. However, most features of May’s design were hidden, when the structure was enlarged on all four sides and modernized in 1910-1912 in the Neoclassical style. Currently, the building houses the offices of the judge, circuit court clerk and county prosecutor. All other government offices have been moved to the Franklin County Government Center at 1010 Franklin Ave. 12. Valley House Hotel, 450 Main St.: This building was constructed circa 1852 and originally served as an inn for canal travelers. Its heyday was from the 1870s to the 1900s. It was noted for providing excellent accommodations and fine cuisine. It housed business activity for more than 125 years, but it has remained vacant more than 20 years. 13. George’s Pharmacy, 480 Main St.: This building has served as a drugstore for most of its existence. In 1907-08, the Carter Drugstore was enlarged and remodeled into the basic structure visible today. In the early 1900s, the drugstore employed Maggie Wright, considered to be the first licensed female pharmacist in Indiana. 14. Farmers Mutual Insurance Building, 500 Main St.: This Romanesque Revival style building was constructed as the National Brookville Bank in 1890-1891. A law firm was on the second floor and the local newspaper, the Brookville American, was housed in the basement. 15. Siebert Home, 115 E. 5th St.: This two-story brick home was built in 1908 by Francis Xavier Siebert, who served for sometime as the sheriff of Brookville. Commonly known as “X” or Frank, he is said to have never carried a gun and apparently preferred to carry the accused to jail over his shoulders. Siebert eventually learned the stone carver’s trade and the attached shop housed his monument and grave marker business. 16. Clarkson House, 221 East 5th St.: This circa 1839 house was either built as a replacement or more likely was expanded by Coker F. Clarkson, who was a leading Whig editor and owner of the Indiana American newspaper from 1833 to 1853. His editorials were copied by a number of Indiana newspapers. In addition, he was a pioneer in developing scientific farming. Clarkson sold this property in March 1856 and moved to Grundy County, Iowa. Soon after his family moved to that state, they developed the Des Moines Register into Iowa’s leading newspaper, and Clarkson continued writing as agricultural editor. His son James, born in this house, later became Republican national chairman. 17. Franklin County Seminary, 412 5th St.: This Federal style building was constructed in 1828-1830 under the provisions of the state’s 1816 Constitution and was partially funded by tuition and fines “of breach of the penal code.” It functioned as a seminary until 1851 after which it was used by the Indiana High School for two years and then by the town as a public school through 1873. It then functioned as a private residence until 1968, when it was purchased by the Franklin County Historical Society. The building was restored in 1979-81and today functions as a museum, which is open by appointment. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. 18. Ritzi Jewelers, 556 Main St.: This Neoclassical style commercial building is unique because it retains almost all the original store fixtures. The jewelry store, started by Caspar Ritzi, began business in 1881 and moved to this location in 1900. The family business was sold several years ago, but the store retains the original name. 19. Winans’ Print Shop, 613 Main St.: Local photographer, Ben Winans, operated a print shop in this one-part commercial building from 1910 to 1947. Winans was a gifted photographer, who took more than 2,700 photographs of Franklin County, predominantly in Brookville. Many of his photographs are referenced today by researchers interested in local history. 20. Methodist Church & Parsonage, 156 E. 8th St.: This Gothic Revival/Collegiate Gothic style church was constructed in 1883. The Methodist Church Annex was built in 1924. The original church steeple was likely removed and the current bell tower built at that time. The current parsonage was built in 1907. In 1968, the Methodists and Evangelical United Brethren merged to form the United Methodist Church. 21. Goodwin House, 813 Main St.: Originally constructed in 1850, this Greek Revival style house has been expanded and modified over the years. It served as the residence for three generations of the Goodwin family. They were descendents of Samuel Goodwin, who came to Brookville in 1816 and was known as the town’s father of Methodism. Today, the welcome center of the Franklin County Recreation, Convention and Visitors Center and the Gift Shoppe are housed in this building. 22. Buckingham McMillan Office, 814 Main St.: This Italianate style building was built circa 1884 by Dr. George Buckingham. He used it both as a residence and as an office for 46 years. The building was later divided for rent by multiple tenants, but in the 1980s it was restored back to its original grandeur. 23. St. Thomas Lutheran Church, 823 Franklin Ave.: The German Lutherans used the old brick church in the cemetery on 10th and John streets from 1848 to 1924. In 1922, the congregation began construction of this Gothic Revival style church and moved into the building in 1924. 24. Tyner House, 900 Main St.: This brick I-house, built circa 1820, was the boyhood home of James N. Tyner, who served as postmaster general during the Ulysses S. Grant administration. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, this structure housed a well-known and respected millinery shop operated by two sisters, Kate and Molly Tappan. 25. Hubbard-Seal House, 901 Main St.: Milford P. Hubbard, a well-known lawyer and second president of the Franklin County National Bank, built this Free Classic style house around 1909. The house was later purchased by Dr. Perry F. Seal and his wife, Mary, in 1946. The doctor, who served the Brookville area for 47 years, died in 1996. 26. Butler House, 911 Main St.: This Federal style house was constructed circa 1840 of locally made brick. It was once owned by William. W. Butler, the son of Brookville’s first settler, Amos Butler. When constructed, it was plainer and it did not have the front semi-circular porch. 27. Morrow-Swift-Tague-O’Byrne House, 912 Main St.: Completed in 1854, this Greek Revival style structure was once the home of Estella Armstrong O’Byrne, who helped organize the Twin Forks Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.). In 1947, she became President General of the D.A.R. and is best remembered for her work on compiling the roster of all of the patriots and soldiers of the American Revolution who are buried in Indiana. This house has also been called the House of Judges since it has been the home of three judges: Ferdinand S. Swift, Cecil Tague and Roscoe C. O’Byrne, as well as attorney Wilson Morrow. 28. Franklin County Public Library, 919 Main St.: This Neoclassical style library was constructed in 1912 through a financial grant from Andrew Carnegie obtained by Brookville’s prominent banker, businessman, and civic leader, John C. Shirk. In 2003, a new addition to the existing structure was dedicated. Funding for the addition was made possible by the Franklin County Community Foundation and Receda Schilling Fund. The library houses a wonderful collection of artwork, including pieces by J. Ottis Adams and T.C. Steele. 29. Matson House, 932 Main St.: This hall-and-parlor/ Federal style house was built in 1843 of locally made brick. It retains much of its architectural integrity and was originally the home of John Matson, an unsuccessful Whig contender in 1849 for Indiana governor. 30. Albert Kaiser House, 1034 Main St.: Lily Kaiser Lindsey inherited this Italianate style house from her father, Albert Kaiser, one of Indiana’s most notable Masonic historians. In 1902, she married local photographer Ben Winans, owner of a print shop at 613 Main St. 31. Rockafellar House, 1041 Main St.: This Craftsman style house was built in the early 1900s by A. H. Rockafellar who was postmaster and vice-president of the Brookville Indiana Historical Society. It still possesses its original pocket doors, unique windows, and stained glass. Although this private residence served briefly as a funeral home, it is unlikely that it was altered significantly. Only funerals were held in the house, while embalming and other funeral services were possibly undertaken in the outbuilding. 32. Brookville Inn, 1049 Main St.: This Free Classic style structure has been a local landmark since it was constructed in 1900. Initially built as a private residence, this house was purchased by Howard Willhite and his wife, Faye, in 1949, and turned into a tourist home for many years. It still possesses its intricate fretwork, pocket doors, stained glass windows, and a spectacular oak staircase. The building was refurbished in 2006 and painted a non-white color for the first time in more than 100 years. 33. Franklin County Government Center, 1010 Franklin Ave.: The Brookville College, which was built on this spot in 1852-53, later served as the Brookville Public School for grades 1-12. The original building was torn down and in 1912 and the current Craftsman style building was erected, which functioned as a public high school until 1989 and a middle school until 2002. The building then remained vacant for a few years until the Franklin Community School Corporation sold it to the county for $1. The facility reopened after a $3 million renovation as the Franklin County Government Center in 2006. 34. Governor Ray House, 212 10th St.: This I-house was built in 1821 on the outskirts of Brookville by James Brown Ray. There is some dispute regarding whether Ray actually lived in the house due to his quick rise to political popularity. He was elected to the State House of Representatives in 1821, the State Senate in 1822, and completed Gov. William Hendricks’ term prior to his own election as governor in 1825. In 1917, the Brookville Church of Christ was built on the property’s front lawn, and the house served as the rectory. 35. Old Brookville Church and Cemetery, 10th and John streets: The Methodists built the church in 1821 in a cemetery that was located outside city limits at the time of its construction. Different denominations used the church over the years until the Franklin County Historical Society acquired the building and restored it in the mid-1960s. The society currently maintains it and rents it for special occasions. Some of Brookville’s pioneers and other notables, including a state supreme court justice and one of the signatories of Indiana’s first constitution, are buried in the cemetery.
© Copyright 2017 ExploreDoc