RAC Region 3 Meeting at TRB

AASHTO-Research Advisory Committee, Region 3
Meeting Minutes
Date
Facilitator
Subject
Attendees
January 12, 2014
Time
3:30 pm (Eastern)
Amy Schutzbach
Secretary
Michael Townley
RAC Region 3 Meeting at TRB Annual Meeting - Washington, D.C.
Member states attending:
Illinois – Amy Schutzbach, Megan Swanson (phone)
Indiana – Tommy Nantung
Iowa – Peggi Knight, Linda Narigon
Kansas – Rod Montney, Richard Kreider (phone)
Michigan – Michael Townley
Minnesota – Linda Taylor, Hafiz Munir
Missouri – Bill Stone, Jennifer Harper (phone)
Ohio – Cynthia Gerst
Wisconsin – Daniel Yeh, Diane Gurtner, Jacqueline Kamin (phone)
Others attending:
Jack Jernigan FHWA
Leslie Wray FHWA
Key Points Discussed
No.
1.
Topic
Review
agenda / roll
call
Highlights
Agenda approved. Roll call attendance marked above.
2.
Review
previous
meeting
minutes
Review
action items
from March
meeting
A motion to approve the minutes was made and seconded. Motion carried.
3.
4.
2014
Summer
RAC
Meeting
Action items were reviewed.
The TRB visit requirement was reviewed. TRB representatives will soon be
receiving a survey regarding the visit.
The survey will ask the TRB
representative if they will have a state visit this year. Member states are required
to have a visit at least every two years. The survey will also ask if a TRB or
SHRP II representative is requested for the visit.
The following summer meeting details were reviewed by Daniel Yeh:

The Monday night reception will be at the Performing Arts Center. Linda
Taylor and Jennifer Harper areplanning the mixer for that night.

Tuesday night’s off site session will be at the University of Wisconsin
Institute for Discovery and will have dinner afterward.

Sponsorship levels will need to be determined before RAC leadership
can decide if the summer meeting registration fee should be raised.

Daniel will make a list of recommended restaurants for Wednesday
region dinners. The Regional dinners will conflict with a local concert in
the downtown area so restaurants may be full. Reservations will need to
be made in advance.
Tommy handed out the attached draft event agenda and discussed the following:
5.
State Fact
Sheet review

Webinar arrangements will need to be set up.

A Pooled Fund program presentation will be provided by FHWA during
RAC 101. Jack Jernigan will find someone to do the presentation.

It was recommended that there be three Task Force meetings in the first
Monday afternoon session and three in the next session. The
Reauthorization Taskforce was added to the first afternoon session

During the next RAC leadership call, Amy will ask if what is provided in
the agenda is appropriate for the RAC/CUTCU meeting requirements.

Daniel Yeh will send invitations to the Wisconsin, Iowa, Arizona, and
Michigan CEO’s requesting them to participate in an opening session
panel. The plan is for each CEO to tell stories about implementation and
performance measures.

We may ask RAC members to submit questions for the Tuesday
sessions moderated by Linda and Amy.

Michael Trentacoste was proposed to be a speaker for the Tuesday
afternoon session.

Daniel Yeh indicated that it is possible to extend the high value research
session’s duration and have the banquet later.

Mark Norman was recommended as a Wednesday morning speaker for
part 1 of the TRB State Representatives Meeting.

Linda Narigon will be the moderator for the implementation session from
1:00 to 2:30 Wednesday. Maine, West Virginia, and some of the smaller
states from region 1 were suggested as speakers.
Cynthia Gerst requested that all states review their research program’s fact
sheet on the web at the following address:
http://research.transportation.org/Pages/StateDOTResearchUnitFactSheets.aspx
6.
2014 Region
3 meeting
schedule
All updates should be sent to Allison Hardt ([email protected]) as a new
pdf file to replace the previous file.
Amy Schutzbach discussed the 2014 RAC Region 3 meeting schedule.
The November meeting was moved to the third Tuesday of the month.
The next meeting is March 11, 2014 1:30-3:00 central.
hosting.
7.
Peer
Exchanges
Wisconsin will be
Agenda items are always due the week before to the RAC member hosting.
Cynthia Gerst announced that Michael Bufalino has volunteered to lead a peer
exchange pooled fund that will be established to assist states with funding peer
exchanges.
The following states are planning 2014 peer exchanges:
1. Ohio is interested in discussing setting standards for research
deliverables in their peer exchange this year.
2. Minnesota is interested in a materials peer exchange this year.
AASHTO-RAC Region 3 Meeting Minutes
Page 2 of 4
The ASSHTO RAC website has peer exchange reports from the past few years:
http://research.transportation.org/Pages/RACPeerExchangeReports.aspx
Sharron Smith Clark is the pooled fund program director at FHWA this month. A
new director will be named soon.
8.
Recently
Completed
Research
Highlights
The following states reported on recently completed research:
 Indiana – Tommy Nantung
o 40 projects completed this year mostly in pavement, materials,
and bridges. They have set a new standard that research
deliverables must be turned in prior to the project end date.

Iowa – Peggy Knight and Linda Narigon
o A concrete corrosion project and a bridge load rating project were
discussed.
o Several handouts were provided

Michigan – Michael Townley
o An autonomous vehicle testing facility in Ann Arbor, a load rating
project, an alternative land use planning project, a mechanistic
empirical design project, and an accelerated bridge construction
workshop.
o Several handouts were provided

Minnesota – Linda Taylor
o Distributed MnDOT’s FY13At-A-Glance the At-A-Glance was
expanded and this now replaces our Annual Report. The library
rate of return study was discussed. Copies are available on
MnDOT’s website at: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/library/
o A best practice manual for Pedestrian and Bike safety report was
discussed.
o Examples of these documents were available to view.
Other states will get opportunities to share at future meetings.
The solicitation for each state’s high value research projects will be coming out
mid-January with submittal due March 31, 2014.
Action Items
No.
Action Item
Owner
1
TRB representatives will soon be receiving a survey TRB
regarding the annual visit and need to respond to it.
Representatives
2
A Pooled Fund program presentation will be
Jack Jernigan
provided by FHWA during RAC 101. Jack Jernigan
will find someone to do the presentation.
Target Date
February, 2014
July, 2014
3
During the next RAC leadership call Amy will ask if Amy Schutzbach
what is provided in the draft summer RAC meeting
agenda is appropriate for the RAC/CUTCU meeting
requirements.
March, 2014
4
Daniel Yeh will send invitations to the Wisconsin, Daniel Yeh
Iowa, Arizona, and Michigan CEO’s asking them to
participate in the summer RAC meeting opening
March, 2014
AASHTO-RAC Region 3 Meeting Minutes
Page 3 of 4
session panel. The plan is for each CEO to tell
stories about implementation and performance
measures.
5
6
7
Linda Narigon, Amy Schutzbach, and Linda Taylor
will each moderator for separate sessions during the
summer RAC meeting.
All states need to review their research program’s
fact sheet on the AASHTO RAC website. All
updates should be sent to Allison Hardt
(ahardt[email protected]) as a new pdf file to
replace the previous file.
Each state’s high value research projects will need to
be submitted into RPM website by March 31. .
AASHTO-RAC Region 3 Meeting Minutes
Page 4 of 4
Linda Narigon, Amy July, 2014
Schutzbach,
and
Linda Taylor
All Members
January, 2014
All Members
March 31, 2014